About The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
We are an innovative partner, mobilized to share hope wherever there is hardship, building communities that are just and know the love of Jesus.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
About the Position
The Senior Financial Accountant (SFA) is a leader of an accounting group and reports to the Assistant Director of Financial Accounting. Utilizing hands-on accounting experience and an in-depth understanding of accounting principles and organizational practices, the SFA will perform complex accounting activities and process development. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, accountability for account reconciliation, financial reporting, budget preparation, and provision of financial management advice to various stakeholders.
General Ledger maintenance and validity and related financial and analytical functions:
- Manages monthly closing of the financial records and posting of month end information to ensure the accuracy of financial statements
- Masters the Salvation Army policies to ensure expenditure claims, accrual and journal entries are appropriate and accurate as well as revenue accounts are correctly coded
- Evaluates scenarios where internal policies are in conjunction with laws
- On a monthly basis, reviews unit financial statements for accuracy, and financial health (i.e. Cash flow, fund balances, budgetary performance, etc.)
- Develops new processes to promote efficiencies and improve internal controls
- Implements and maintains systems and policies to support new processes
- Advises and mentors accountants and partners regarding policy, tax law and accounting principles
- Prepares the monthly journal entries to record purchases and sales of investment portfolio assets, and any related gain or loss, based on the information supplied to him/her by the Investment Officer
- Approves journal entries prepared by others.
- Performs significant account reconciliations ensuring that they are prepared on a timely basis and that appropriate clearing actions are taken
- Researches and reconciles discrepancies on the bank reconciliations
- Identifies errors and instructs the team of the required corrections
- Prepares various accruals / pre-paids and ensures transactions are reflected in the appropriate accounting period.
Oversight and maintenance with preparation of financial documents and reporting tools:
- Prepares annual audit schedule and financial statements in accordance with the requirements of the funding agreements.
- Prepares and or oversees preparation of client entities’ annual Registered Charity Information Returns by staff.
- Ensures government filings are prepared in accordance with all applicable policies and guidelines.
- Critically reviews and analyzes monthly budget variance report and balance sheet accounts regularly and identifies all significant budget variances and ensures information is complete and accurate.
- Discusses budget variance analysis reports, forecasts and corrective action with partners.
- Acts as a member of the budget team, in preparing a first draft of ministry unit budgets, and collaborating on a final budget submission on behalf of ministry units and THQ/DHQ departments.
- Prepares multi-year forecasts on behalf of clients
- Maintains client entity registration for the taxes including timely filing of returns.
- Researches and/or prepares various analytical and financial reports.
- Completes various recurring and ad hoc reports requested by funders, other government departments, ministry unit leaders, and other finance team members.
Manage partnership with ministry units and external clients:
- Acts as the designated client contact and follows up with clients concerning outstanding issues related to financial statement and accounting processes
- Remains fluent with and understands Salvation Army policies to ensure accounting transactions are in line with policy and procedure.
- Initiates and maintains ongoing communications with clients, treating them with respect and courtesy at all times. Develops an understanding of client requirements, providing detailed solutions and explanations to queries.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's degree in finance/Accounting stream.
- The SFA must be enrolled in CPA program PEP.
- Three years but less than five years of relevant experience (AP/AR/GL).
- Attention to detail, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong sense of integrity and confidentiality with professional ethics and a balanced sense of fairness and flexibility.
- High quality Excel spreadsheet skills for handling large volumes of data (function knowledge specific to VLookups and index/match, indirect, trims, left, right, mid, substitute, if statements [with or/and logic])
- Excellent knowledge of Word
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills are a must.
The target hiring range for this position is $48,932- $61,165, with the ability to progress to a maximum of $73,399. Placement in the salary range will be based on factors such as market conditions, internal equity, and candidate experience, skills, and qualifications relevant to the role.
The Salvation Army will provide reasonable accommodation upon request. Please let us know if you have a need for any accommodation.
We thank all applicants and will contact candidates selected for next steps. Internal Applicants, please speak with your manager about your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $48,932.00-$61,165.00 per year
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Work Location: Remote
Application deadline: 2023-06-18