VSC Veterinary Assistant (ICU)
CAREER OPPORTUNITY: Veterinary Assistant – ICU
Do you enjoy a fast-paced work environment? Do you enjoy a challenge, and the opportunity to learn new skills and grow as a Veterinary Assistant?
We are looking for Assistants to join our ICU team. Someone who enjoys a challenge, is excited by learning opportunities, is comfortable working independently but is also ready to be part of a team that comes together to ensure the best possible care for our patients and their families. Our hospital is a learning and teaching environment where we encourage all team members to expand and share their knowledge. We value team members who are not afraid to say, “I don’t know that yet, but I am happy to learn!”
Veterinary Assistants with experience – especially in ICU – will be given preference, but recent graduates with an interest in Critical Care and Emergency Medicine are encouraged to apply.
The ideal ICU Assistant will:
- Take direction from and perform duties as instructed, by the ICU team and other technicians as needed.
- Understand normal vitals (heart rate, pulse rate, capillary refill time, mucous membranes, temperature, respiratory rate, and effort).
- Be comfortable with client communication and obtaining histories from clients.
- Maintain an understanding of common veterinary medical terms and abbreviations.
- Cultivate a positive atmosphere, demonstrate a friendly and courteous attitude with all coworkers throughout the hospital to maintain a cohesive work environment.
- Assist in scheduling appointments, restraining patients for imaging, assist in prepping patients, and departmental coordination.
- Be able to perform physical duties like lifting and restraining animals as needed.
Ours is a team that works hard but also laughs hard; appreciating that many hands and a smile make for light work. We are a hospital that cares strongly for our patients and for our staff. We want you to have fun both at and away from work.
At VSCNL we believe acquiring the right employee is contingent on the level of skills, cultural fit, and ability to be a team player. To secure long-term, happy employees, VSCNL offers:
- Fair, Competitive Wages
- Health, Dental and Visual Benefits
- Annual Uniform Allowance
- CE Allowance
- Matching RRSPs
- Subsidized Pet Insurance
VSCNL is an equal opportunities employer. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, merit, and business need.
EXPERT CARE, CLOSE TO HOME
Dr. Bailey’s goal in opening VSCNL was that no pet owner would have to leave the province to get the care their pet needs. We have the only board-certified surgeon and radiologist in the province, a CT scanner, offer chemotherapy, run a canine blood donor program, and have the only ICU that is fully staffed 24 hours a day. When it comes to diagnosing and treating the pets of Newfoundland and Labrador, there is nothing we can't do!
The Veterinary Specialty Centre of Newfoundland and Labrador is the province’s only specialty referral centre and 24-hour, full-service emergency clinic.
Located in the St John’s area of Newfoundland, our staff are able to enjoy their downtime experiencing a wide variety of activities. From hiking trails and other outdoor adventures, whale watching and historical sites, to a vibrant downtown area with world-renowned restaurants, a thriving arts community, and a varied social scene, St John’s offers something for everyone.
For more information about our clinic, please visit: www.vscnl.ca.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $16.00-$18.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Mount Pearl, NL: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Secondary School (preferred)
- veterinary technician: 1 year (preferred)
- Day Shift (preferred)
- Night Shift (preferred)
- Overnight Shift (preferred)
Work Location: In person