Job Number: 47699
1 temporary full-time position for 8 months intended specifically for students currently enrolled in a general business, operations management, social sciences or related co-op or equivalent post-secondary work experience degree program, commencing in January 2024
At the heart of the City of Edmonton is a community of city builders, problem solvers, listeners and doers. We’re a modern municipal corporation, serving nearly one million people and looking to attract and inspire one million more. With more than 300 programs and services, our work connects us to almost every aspect of Edmontonians’ daily lives. And working together, we’re building a thriving, sustainable and welcoming home for Edmontonians of today and tomorrow.
Want to help improve how the City of Edmonton provides planning and development services? Not only do you get to be part of an impactful and engaging initiative, within a diverse and enthusiastic team, you’ll get hands-on experience with process improvement and implementation projects as part of the Urban Planning and Economy Corporate Strategy team. The Urban Planning and Economy Department plans, promotes and advocates change that moves this city towards the Edmonton envisioned by the citizens we serve. The work of this department concentrates on city planning and administering the development needs of today and the future. You’ll help with a variety of tasks such as data gathering, research and analysis, project coordination, training support, and more!
- Support the team on process improvement and implementation to enhance customer service and streamline department services
- Facilitate meetings with internal stakeholders to gather information and research to support projects and initiatives
- Undertake project coordination, with supervision, relating to stakeholder engagement and process improvement
- Complete data collection, research, process mapping, best practices scans, and analysis
- Create a range of communication materials (i.e. presentations, website content, training documents) to support implementation and change management activities
- Create and update standard operating procedures, system workflows, web content, and call centre scripts to support implementation of improved processes and services
- Analyze customer feedback to develop insights for service improvement
- Perform other related duties as required
Note: This position may be a combination of working from home and on-site working conditions.
- Currently enrolled in a general business, operations management, social sciences or related co-op or equivalent post-secondary work experience degree program
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and ability to maintain strong working relationships
- Demonstrated ability to express ideas and concepts effectively, both oral and written (ie. making technical information meaningful to a general audience)
- Ability to work independently and make decisions in the absence of a supervisor
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with multiple elements, with attention to detail
- Ability to use Google Workspace applications
- Demonstrate service excellence, embracing diversity and promoting inclusiveness
- Demonstrate alignment with the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, fostering an environment for others to do the same. For more information on the City’s Cultural Commitments, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Additional assets would be skills, experience or knowledge of:
- Understanding of project management principles and concepts
- Knowledge of business planning, performance measures, process development, process improvement, process implementation - including training and website content development, and change management
- Please note, as part of your application, we ask that you attach an unofficial transcript or an enrollment verification letter (indicating you are enrolled in a co-op or related post-secondary work experience degree program). Talent sourced through this process may be considered for similar opportunities within the City.
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework and Indigenous Framework.
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact [email protected].
Hours of work: 33.75 hours per work week, Monday - Friday
The weekly hours of work for this position are currently under review and may change at a future time. Any changes will be made in accordance with the City of Edmonton/Civic Service Union 52 collective agreement and the incumbent will be notified in advance.
Salary: $22.799 -$26.599 (Hourly)
Talent Diversity Consultant: JY/JF
Classification Title: Student Work Exp 4 YR Post Secondary
Posting Date: Sep 19, 2023
Closing Date: Oct 8, 2023 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Student Position Full-time
Union : CSU 52
Department: DCMO - Urban Planning and Economy
Work Location(s): 9th Floor Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue Edmonton T5J 0J4