Position Title: General Manager for Social Business Enterprises
Direct Report: Board of Directors
Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the General Manager for Social Business Enterprises will be the team leader and provide management oversight for existing businesses in the portfolio as well as participate in identifying new business opportunities in support of Takla’s Nation building, economic growth, and community well-being.
This will include mentoring direct report staff members, building a long-term strategy to incorporate Takla members into the management team, balancing revenue optimization with building membership capacity, budget & cash flow management, leadership and training, and business plan development. The Manager will be required to adapt to changing Nation goals, markets conditions, acquisition of new business entities, and follow up to ensure successful execution of the strategic plan.
The ideal candidate will be trusted to dive right in, take the lead, use initiative. Highly skilled at a people first level and business operations. This person will join and inspire a team of staff and personnel to achieve the goals identified in the company strategic plan, vision.
Current business entities include Hotel and Restaurant Management, Grocery and Fuel store, Vacation Lodge, Commercial and Residential Lease management Guiding entities (hunting and fishing), and more.
OBJECTIVES OF THIS ROLE:
- Management of existing businesses and identify new business opportunities for Board consideration.
- Take a lead role in developing new business proformas and presentations that are consistent with the company strategic plan.
- Identify trends and building a portfolio of opportunities for short/medium/long term in accordance with the company strategic plan.
- Develop strategies that ensure training, inclusion of nation members at all levels and for generations to come.
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of training and growth strategies.
- Motivate the team, track performance, and report metrics of each of the company business entities. Work with the HR Director to build staff resiliency within all levels of the organization.
- Identify new business opportunities consistent with the company Strategic Plan.
- Define, develop, and implement both short-term and long-term goals for growth.
- Enhance and promote Takla’s Mission & Vision within the organization.
- Provide relevant updates to the Board of Directors (LP) and provide as requested from Chief and council.
- Forecast changes in products and services and offer suggestions for improvement and solutions-based responses.
- Bring new and innovative ideas to the Board of Director meetings.
- Build key customer relationships with new and existing clients.
- Work with the HR Director to increase Takla member employment and training opportunities.
- Manage existing clients to ensure ongoing satisfaction and retain business.
- Identify business opportunities and seek out partnerships with other Nations.
- Negotiate and close business deals as approved by Board of Directors.
- Set individual corporate goals/objectives for each business unit manager.
- Work with HR Director and ensure professional development plans are in place for staff.
- Stay up to date on business activities within the individual business units.
- Work with business unit managers to ensure customers are fully satisfied with business outputs of the organization.
- Attend industry and government functions to stay current on emerging trends and changes to regulations that may impact the organization’s business(es).
- Present to the management team and Board on business trends in order to develop new services, products, and distribution channels.
- Identify opportunities for campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to increased exposure for nation members.
- Ensure that data is accurately entered and managed within the company’s accounting and management systems.
- Maintain extensive knowledge of current market conditions that may impact individual business units.
- Work with Finance Director in monitoring expenditures relative to the approved budget.
- Provide Board with monthly progress reports.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Minimum of 5 – 7 years of experience in industry.
- Having previous First Nations work experience is desirable.
- Postsecondary degree or diploma in business, marketing, economics, or a related field and or experience.
- Proven understanding of the multiple industries, businesses, and areas of service
- Excellent organizational, strategic, planning, and implementation skills
- Ability to create realistic schedules and meet deadlines under stress and interruptions.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, and facts.
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and relationship management skills
- Excellent attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Ability to respond appropriately in high-pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanor.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Keenly focused on ensuring Takla Nation members are included in hiring and training with the goal of long-term employment and meaningful contributions.
- Initial and on-going employment is subject to submission of a clear Criminal Record check. Criminal Record Check must be conducted every three years.
TOOLS / EQUIPMENT:
Use of computer and accessories; Windows Operating System, various software applications (including MS Office suite and Adobe). Use of photocopier/fax machine and other office supplies.
- Professional appearance (Business Casual)
- Follow all the company Policies and Procedures and display a commitment to Takla Nation values and culture.
- Ability to undergo an appropriate criminal records review and police record check successfully and periodically is required
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Work Location: In person