Are you passionate about sustainability, reconciliation, and natural products that reduce waste? Are you a strong collaborator and creative thinker? Are you eager to develop new skills while working in an inclusive, flexible, and development-focused environment? If you’ve answered “YES!” to these questions, then we want to hear from you!
About Aurora Heat, Inc.
Aurora Heat’s vision is to strengthen the widespread use of wild fur rooted in Indigenous tradition. Our mission is to welcome all peoples to thrive in harmony with Nature via natural fur for warmth and health products. Regarded as Canada’s Most Loved Hand Warmers, we sell handmade warmers that are long-lasting, reusable, and made from sustainable, ultra-soft beaver fur. Our eco-friendly products help preserve the cultural heritage of Indigenous Trappers while offering traditional and well-paid work for Indigenous women, girls and 2SLGBTQ+ people in Northern Canada.
Valuing the seven sacred teachings of Truth, Love, Respect, Courage, Honesty, Wisdom and Humility, we strive to meet our relations in these ways.
We are seeking a talented and detail-oriented Fur Artisan Pattern Marker to join our team in Fort Smith, NWT. The Fur Artisan Pattern Marker will be responsible for creating and transferring intricate patterns onto fur pelts, ensuring precise cutting and assembly during the fur garment manufacturing process. The ideal candidate will possess excellent pattern-making skills, a keen eye for detail, and a passion for working with luxurious fur materials.
Main duties of the position:
- Stencil patterns for wild fur warmers, accessories, and other products using manual methods.
- Transfer patterns onto fur pelts, taking into account natural fur characteristics and maximizing the use of the raw materials.
- Ensure accurate alignment, cutting lines, allowances on the patterns, considering the specific requirements of each product or accessory.
- Collaborate closely with designers, and sewing technicians to ensure the patterns meet the desired design and standards.
- Assist in training and mentoring junior pattern makers or interns, sharing knowledge and best practices.
Educational and work experience requirements of the position:
- Passionate about naturally-biodegratable products, sustainability and reconciliation
- Knowledge of sustainability practices in the fur industry.
- High school diploma or equivalent; formal education in fashion design or pattern making is preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of fur types, characteristics, and handling techniques.
- Proficient in pattern-making techniques using manual and digital methods.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to create accurate and precise patterns.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to meet production deadlines.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $21.00-$25.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Flexible schedule
- Store discount
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
Aurora Heat follows COVID-19 precautions as per provincial regulating bodies.
Work Location: In person