If you are a results oriented technology leader, consider this exciting opportunity with the Labour and Transportation I&IT Cluster (LTC). We are seeking a results oriented leader with solutions design and technology leadership experience to plan, design and lead the delivery of digital solutions for the Ministry of Transportation and Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development.
This passionate team is at the heart of our mission to ensure that government works for everyone. Be a part
of a world-leading public service, and help improve the lives of over 14 million people of Ontario, through our
work using modern design, data and technology tools and practices.
If this sounds like you, then consider this position with the Labour and Transportation Digital Solutions Branch,
and bring your expertise to lead the development and maintenance of the Ministry of Transportation and
Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development business systems.
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy
and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint
pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code
. Refer to the "How to apply" section if you require a disability-related accommodation.
As an I&IT Senior Solutions Designer, you will:
- Create design and communication of solution vision through the design, development and execution of integrated architecture that aligns to the Enterprise Architecture plan and meets the current and future needs of the business leveraging the Ontario Digital Standards using a balanced team modern delivery model.
- Provide technical leadership and consultation in the discovery, alpha, beta and live phases and operation of
all systems, in public/private/hybrid clouds such as Azure, AWS, Oracle, IBM Cloud, etc. Knowledge and
expertise in DevOps toolsets, including but not limited to Docker, Ansible, Jenkins, OpenShift, PCF, Chef,
Puppet, and others
- Define and design technology solutions to assist the business in meeting their business objectives including technology solutions and changes to service, process and/or operating models
- Develop and implement technology solutions to ensure solutions are implemented as expected and to agreed timeframes
- Has an understanding of the technologies and their key properties, limitations and design patterns, that are used to build the solutions: Azure cloud, CI/CD pipelines, serverless compute, SQL and noSQL databases, REST services, API management, data-centric landscapes, event-driven architectures
- Provide leadership on product upgrades and enhancements
- Collaborate with business units and technical experts to develop solutions that meet user stories/ business requirements specifications to ensure alignment between customer expectations and current or future capabilities
- Provide senior level technical expertise in design, development and implementation of strategies to monitor
and alert of events that could potentially breach the capability to meet the service level target commitments
- Establish, maintain, and implement methods for monitoring the resource capacity and availability of the
- Assess daily operations and alert Manager to serious workload volume, prioritizing, cost, and resourcing
- Recommend and coordinate with the Manager and technical staff in other service provider organizations to
- Expert knowledge of the underlying technologies that make up hosting environments in order to design,
install, monitor, maintain, performance tune and operate systems while ensuring high availability requirements
- You have knowledge of current and emerging technologies (such as CRM systems, Azure Cloud, Business Intelligence, Curam and others), environments and methodologies (such as Agile), including business and system analysis, design, development, testing and implementation methods.
- You have expert knowledge of multi-tiered application architecture, Java EE, .Net, Microservices architecture and SOAP/RESTful API design.
- You have in-depth knowledge and experiences with Application Lifecycle Management, Software Development and Design principles.
- You have in-depth knowledge and demonstrated experience with continuous integration and continuous delivery and other DevOps practices
- You have knowledge of and skills in data design and management, database development (such as SQL Server, Oracle,) modern data warehousing (such as ETL, DataBricks, PowerBI) design/development and related technologies.
- You have demonstrated experience in working with the clients to gather requirements and design enterprise solutions.
- Thorough understanding of system architectures to provide expert level technical support of services with the
application solutions hosted within it, and the infrastructure services as an end to end service.
- Expert knowledge and experience with integrated multi-tier/multi-platform environments including the
underlying operating systems, LAN/WAN, firewalls, PC hardware, desktop software to analyse existing Cluster
technology, and identify improvements/developments
- Expert knowledge of processes and procedures such as industry standard IT Service Management
frameworks such as Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) used in large organizations to perform
upgrades, enhancements and maintenance to enterprise level services with minimal disruption to availability of
business critical systems
- Expert knowledge of methodologies in automation to provide technical leadership in the design and
implementation of the automation of repeated manual tasks to improve quality and capacity of the operational
delivery of the team
- Excellent knowledge of theory and principles of business design, systems analysis, design and development,
and related methods, techniques, practices and standards, in order to lead a team
- You have team leadership skills to mentor staff and provide technical guidance and direction.
- You can create a productive work environment and maintain strong relationships with clients and project teams.
- You can present information clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- You have consultation skills to provide advice, obtain support for recommendations/business cases and achieve consensus with clients/stakeholders.
- You know business analysis methodologies to identify/confirm requirements and to develop documentation and solutions to address clients' needs.
- You can apply risk assessment processes to evaluate options and identify the best solution.
- You think analytically about client's needs and technology options to identify solutions that are cost-effective and meet client requirements and to address technical issues with design, infrastructure and implementation.
- You have excellent negotiation and contract management skills
- You have knowledge of project management and planning principles and budgeting skills to estimate project
- You have strong organizational and leadership skills to coordinate and lead concurrent projects and activities