Division: Communications and Policy
City: Ottawa, ON
Job Term: Permanent Full-time (35 hours per week)
Union/Non: IAM local 3011
The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada, a national union representing some 70,000 professionals and scientists throughout Canada, requires a Communications Coordinator for its National Office in Ottawa.
PIPSC/IPFPC is committed to building an inclusive workplace where diversity of thought – and of people – are recognized, valued, and considered essential to achieving our goals and objectives. We are making concerted efforts to foster a workforce that is representative of our diverse membership.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Under the direction of the Director of Policy and Communications and the functional guidance of the Team Lead of Communications, the Communications Coordinator implements digital communications strategies and collaborates on the planning, creating, editing, posting, and analysis of digital content.
- Coordinates the design, production, translation, printing and publishing of communications and graphic design products.
- Assists in writing and building digital communications products including web postings, emails, newsletters, social media posts, web forms, etc.
- Copy-edits and proofreads communications products for internal and external audiences.
- Collaborates with the Information Technology (IT) team to post online information and use the website and customer relationship management (CRM) system for advertising and engagement. Ensures timeliness, relevance, effective placement of content, and ease of access to information and updates for external and internal stakeholders.
- Works with other team members to create, calendar, post, and monitor social media content promoting announcements, programs and engagement opportunities.
- In coordination with other team members, creates and implements digital/social media ads to build a wide audience of members and external stakeholders. Provides regular reports on ad performance.
- Triages and responds to member inquiries and requests from various channels; promotes engagement and audience growth on digital platforms.
- Tracks and analyzes social media and paid advertisement metrics.
- Assists in setting and ensuring key performance indicators (KPIs) are met and creates internal reports on fulfillment of goals. Recommends improvements and enhancements to future work.
- Participates in the organization of the communication team projects and products including maintaining filing systems, databases and archives.
- Researches and reviews the latest developments in social media channels, engagement strategies, email best practices, and analytics.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary teams assigned to special projects and work collaboratively with staff, elected officials and others.
Education, Experience and Skills Required
- Completed a two (2) or three (3) year community college program in Journalism, Media Studies, Public Relations, or Communications
- One (1) to three (3) years of progressive and related experience in the implementation of communications’ plans, writing, editing, and working with web, social media and associated systems, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Fluency in both official languages (French and English) is an asset
Skills and experience required:
- Knowledge of communications and public relations principles, methods and techniques,
- Ability to research and evaluate the types and extent of media / public information required to support the Institute’s aims and objectives; to plan, organize and develop communications and promotional products, materials, events and activities for a variety of differing audiences
- Exceptional writing skills as they relate to the creation of digital communication products, including ability to edit and proofread documents
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing on complex and sensitive subjects, to enhance the understanding of others on issues crucial to Institute members
- Knowledge of media relations practices and procedures and experience in dealing with the media and media activities
- Knowledge in best practices in digital writing and mobilizing communities online
- Knowledge of union and labour relations issues, parliamentary procedures and processes
- Project management skills to plan and execute work assignments effectively, establish and realign priorities based on operational needs
- Experience in the creative process of publications including preparation, translation, copy editing, and publishing
- Salary Range: $58,410 to $73,012 (G3)
- Group Benefits (Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance)
- Pension Plan
- Vacation (4 weeks/year) and other generous paid leave
How to apply
a) You must apply by email to [email protected], by 4:00 pm (Est) September 26, 2023. ID competition # 23-45 in the subject line.
b) Please submit a cover letter and resume. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
c) If you require a disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us to provide your contact information. The Staffing team will contact you within 48 hours.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We encourage applications for this opportunity from Indigenous Peoples, women, people with accessibility needs, persons of all races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, psychologically safe, harassment-free, and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process.
If you need to be accommodated during any phase of this process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $58,410.00-$73,012.00 per year
- Company pension
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Ottawa, ON K1G 3J8