Health Safety and Environment Manager
Cad Rail Industries Ltd was founded in 1968 headquartered in Montreal. We take pride on being North America’s leader of full-service solutions in the freight, passenger and commuter rail industries in Canada, the United States and offshore. Cad Rail has other facilities in Calgary, Lethbridge (under Caltrax banner) and has recently been selected by the ONxpress Transportation Partners association to provide all legacy fleet maintenance services for the Metrolinx rail fleet of approximately 1000 bi-level coaches and 90 locomotives. Cad rail’s delivery team will operate and maintain Metrolinx’s rail maintenance facilities in Etobicoke and Whitby, as well as in multiple overnight along with mid-day light servicing facilities located across the Metrolinx train service area.
Summary of the role:
The Health Safety and Environment (HSE) Manager will be responsible for all aspects of Health and Safety and Environmental for the Metrolinx’s Legacy Fleet Maintenance operations.
This individual will collaborate with the management team, customers, suppliers, partners and involved stakeholders.
Reporting to the Senior Compliance and Senior Safety Manager, will be accountable to support and provide expertise in the areas of Health and Safety and Environmental. The HSE Manager will assist in the development of plans and strategies relating to the Health and Safety of the operation and its employees and environmental issues. This will be done by developing and monitoring key performance indicators and introducing best practices.
- Confirm that all HSE policies, processes and procedures are being complied
- Support site management in achieving HSE results. Develop short and long-term plans/policies/procedures for the Health and Safety, and Environmental functions
- Observe, monitor, and evaluate so to ensure that all government regulatory requirements are met. Ensures overall compliance
- Review the Incident Action Plan for safety implications.
- Ensure that accidents/incidents are first prevented and when occurring, reported, recorded, investigated, and analysed.
- Ensure all severe events are reported and investigated
- Provides technical support and guidance to the operational team
- Conducts audits to ensure safety, and environment activities are performed in accordance with the procedures and governmental regulations
- Evaluate and monitor health and safety and environment hazards and propose strategies to control risks in the workplace. Also propose mitigation solutions to reduce the overall risks
- Ensures the development, implementation, and promotion of governmental regulatory programs in the workplace
- Build a communication plan as it relates to HSE. Develop HSE understanding and competencies ensuring that all employees have an understanding
- Ability to develop KPI’s and present data
- Prepare senior management relating any potential complications
- Work with the team to prepare and create recurrent reports that are requested by operations or higher
- Comply with the company’s applicable policies and procedures as well as human resources’ guidelines.
- Ability to build strong rapport with the team and unionized maintenance personnel.
- Able to foster an environment where employees feel safe to report issues
- 5 to 10 years in a leadership role in Health & Safety and Environmental
- Diploma or degree in Health & Safety/Environmental or related field of study.
Nice to have:
- Experience working in an unionized environment
- Familiarity with other industries such as Aerospace
- Previous experience working in the passenger/rail transit industry is an asset
Cad Rail Industries Ltd. provides an equal opportunity as an employer and we are dedicated to continue to preserve a welcoming, safe and inclusive environment for every individual- no matter of age, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion and disability status.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Up to $110,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Toronto, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person