At CN, we work together to move our company—and North America—forward. Be part of our Information & Technology (I&T) team, a critical piece of the engine that keeps us in motion. From enterprise architecture to operational technology, our teams use the agile methodology to automate and digitize our railroad ensuring our operations run optimally and safely and our employees can focus on value-added tasks. You will be able to develop your skills and career in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
The Digital Engagement Specialist is responsible for connecting CN’s customers and supply chain partners to EDI and Application Programing Interface (API) while monitoring EDI data quality and participating in the build and deployment of new API’s. The incumbent ensures that CN meets the customer’s needs by providing them with knowledge, direction and internal support. The role works to identify opportunities to increase efficiency and automation, manages regulatory requirements, reduces costs, and enhances the customer experience. Moreover, the position coordinates the enhancement of systems capabilities to attain optimum EDI and API Bill of Lading quality, ensuring the protection of CN’s revenues during processing. The incumbent is also accountable for measuring onboarding speed and effectiveness.
Critical Performance Areas
- Implement and monitor EDI transactions, ensuring timely and accurate data in connection with 204, 210, 214, 322, Car Location Message (CLM), 404, 410, 417, 418, 824, 997, 998, transmissions including customer specifications with Value Added Network (VAN) partners
- Provide EDI expertise to trading partners (e.g. foreign rail carriers), third party suppliers and shippers to ensure seamless flow error free electronic data
- Identify Service Reliability System (SRS), EDI, and Shipping Instructions (SI) disconnects, and collaborate with internal stakeholders including Traffic Management, Waybill, and eBusiness for problem resolution or programming
- Analyze errors for process or programming opportunities
- Follow up with customers to reduce and eliminate repetitive errors
- Address and resolve production translator failures
- Collaborate with Intermodal on 204 and 214 data quality issues and related customer interface
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to create and maintain customer patterns
- Create and maintain SRS tables to manage data exceptions
- Review hazardous EDI descriptions to ensure compliance
- Represent CN’s interests at the Association of American Railroads (AAR) committee meetings
- Collaborate with various departments on API priorities and implementation
- Get involved in road-mapping future API and customer priorities
- Coordinate all SRS systems activities from inception, specification design, testing, modifications, and enhancements
- Coordinate EDI requirements for hazardous goods, special handling, and protective service of shipments
- Develop strategies to eliminate unnecessary manual review of electronic data and develop ways to validate data using automated tools and business processes
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders regarding customer communication strategies with respect to regulatory changes and related EDI business requirements
- Ensure that concise and effective electronic processes and procedures are in place and followed consistently by all levels
The role has standard working conditions in an office environment with a regular workweek from Monday to Friday. The incumbent must be available to work shifts and weekends when necessary. Due to the nature of the role, the incumbent must be able to meet tight deadlines, handle pressure and manage stress.
- Minimum 5 years of overall work experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or equivalent
- Inspires others with impactful communications and adapts to the audience through speech and writing
- Applies analytical thinking
- Innovates through problem solving
- Knows the business and stays current with industry trends to elevate expertise and work
- Demonstrates organizational abilities
- Collaborates with key internal stakeholders to enable higher productivity
- Works independently with little supervision
- Knowledge of railway operations and understanding of international supply chain, as well as North America geography*
- Ability to learn or possesses current knowledge of EDI and SRS
- Extensive knowledge of dangerous commodity and customs regulations
- Knowledge of accounting, revenue, and marketing systems
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel and Business Objects
- Any knowledge for any of the above would be considered as an asset
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
At CN, we are dedicated to building North America’s safest, most inclusive and sustainable railroad, which includes reflecting the communities in which we operate. Research shows that candidates from underrepresented groups often don’t apply unless they feel they fit the job posting at 100%. Even if you don’t see yourself in every job requirement listed in a posting, we still encourage you to apply. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodations), please reach out to our team at [email protected].
As an equal employment opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.