Enter the Game!
Activate is a tech company known for creating Canada’s first full-scale interactive gaming facility. We are experiencing significant expansion, and are looking to expand our IT team with the addition of a Software Developer. In the position of Software Developer, you will work with a small team of computer engineers and programmers who design and maintain the core software (both front-end and back-end) behind our interactive gaming facilities. You will be responsible for developing game software as well as managing the company website and other interactive applications. This will involve working directly with game programmers, graphic designers, and other colleagues, but will also provide many opportunities for individual freedom and creativity where appropriate. This is a full-time, permanent position.
The Duties and Responsibilities:
Maintain and enhance public-facing web properties and in-facility interactive applications for use by Activate customers, sometimes following mock-ups or wireframes, and adhering to defined Activate development standards
- Identify issues in existing / proposed user interfaces and make recommendations for improvements to the design
- Update DevOps scripting for relevant development tasks
- Maintain and enhance automated test suite to ensure quality and data integrity
- Work closely with the in-house graphic designer to ensure visual standards are met
Design, develop and maintain microservices powering Activate facilities and online properties
- Design and develop Activate game software based on documented requirements.
- Design and maintain Activate relational databases supporting all of the Activate facilities
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or Certificate/Diploma in Software Development is required
- 2+ years of experience in software development would be considered an asset
- Willingness to work irregular hours if/when needed, including evenings and weekends
- Proficiency in PHP, Laravel, Molecular, NodeJS, C++ and/or MySQL would be considered an asset
- Proficiency in PHP, Laravel and/or Vue would be considered an asset
- Game design experience, video game or otherwise
- Experience developing Android and/or iOS apps
- Experience using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, NUC or other microcontroller platforms
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (SES, S3, Aurora etc.)
- Proficiency in an assortment of technologies, including Apache HTTP Server, Windows, Ubuntu Linux, and associated automation technologies would be considered an asset
- Benefits package
- Paid time off
- Casual dress
- Employee discount
- On-site parking
Taking entertainment into the future by fusing technology and physical activity together to create live-action gaming experiences, Activate is a technology company building interactive gaming facilities with locations across Canada and the US. For more information about Activate, please visit www.activate.ca or check us out on Instagram - @activategames/Facebook @activategames.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.