Are you passionate about improving the lives of vulnerable populations in the Shaganappi community of Calgary? The Mustard Seed is seeking a dedicated Wellness Advocate to help individuals experiencing homelessness or poverty achieve sustainable and healthy lifestyles by providing system navigation support and connecting them with both internal and external resources. Working out of our Shaganappi Impact Centre, this role will facilitate and advocate for clients in various systems, ultimately improving their quality of life.
As the barriers to transitioning out of poverty and homelessness are unique to each individual, our Wellness Advocate will meet with clients to assess their needs and recommend appropriate programs and services. These services may include counseling, medical care, assistance with obtaining identification, employment, income support, housing, community resources, drop-in programming, and more. By breaking down these barriers and providing personalized support, our Wellness Advocate plays a crucial role in empowering clients to make positive changes in their lives.
Position Type: Full-Time
Schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Tuesdays from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Reporting to: Sr. Director of Health & Wellness
Location: Community Impact Centre Shaganappi, Calgary, AB
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Advocate on behalf of individuals experiencing homelessness or poverty and empower them to overcome challenges and navigate systems, including income support, housing, community resources, etc.
- Provide support to clients in completing medical and other paperwork, as well as assist with obtaining government-issued ID and status cards.
- Meet with new participants in the Community Impact Centre, refer them as quickly as possible to internal and external resources as needed.
- Ensure clients have accessed external resources by completing follow-up with clients and agencies and maintain complete and up-to-date client files, entering data and notes into client care management system as required.
- Demonstrate a high level of confidentiality and professionalism.
- Hold a post-secondary degree in Social Work, Social Services, Counselling, Psychology or equivalent, and possess 1-2 years' experience in the homeless serving sector.
- Possess a working understanding of vulnerable populations and the complexities of homelessness.
- Have extensive knowledge of local community programs, services, and resources, as well as Alberta/Canada's social support systems.
- Proven ability to network and build relationships with internal and external resources, as well as develop new partnerships.
- Demonstrate meticulous attention to detail in completing paperwork, maintaining accurate client files, and entering data and notes into the client care management system, ensuring thorough and precise documentation throughout the process.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, with a well-defined sense of diplomacy, including strong negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Possess excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), and adept at learning and working with new technology, software, and databases.
- Willingness to supervise practicum students in advocacy positions on an ongoing basis.
- An Employment Background Check is required for all positions at The Mustard Seed
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to agree to respect and not detract from The Mustard Seed’s Employment Values during their employment at The Mustard Seed.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Vulnerable Sector Check and Employment Security Check is required.
- Participate in all staff training (e.g. First Aid, SafeTALK, Nonviolence Crisis Intervention, Naloxone Training)
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and wellness days.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Mustard Seed reserves the right to amend job advertisements. No phone calls please.