More than just retail. Come make a difference. The North West Company is hiring experienced department managers to relocate, live and work in a remote northern Canadian community. NWC provides relocation assistance, as well as food and housing allowances. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Please note: This role is only open to candidates with 2+ years of experience in a manager role in a high volume retail/grocery environment.
Bank more of what you earn, with great perks such as:
● Competitive salary
● Subsidized housing
● Food allowance
● Paid vacation travel
● And more.
That means achieving your financial goals much faster, whether that is paying off student loans, saving for a house, travelling the world, or whatever else you have in mind.
The Store Manager is accountable to develop store specific action plans and direct all activities within the store ensuring that customer service standards and performance targets are achieved and priorities are aligned with overall store and region strategy. The Manager will also manage budgets, labor costs, inventory control, product presentation and merchandising. The Manager will coach, motivate and develop their team to foster customer loyalty, fulfil customer needs and actively contribute to an environment of employee and customer engagement.
More than just retail.
Come make a difference.
The Northern/NorthMart stores currently have exciting opportunities for full-time, permanent employment in retail stores across the North. This is an excellent opportunity to join a team where your experience and work ethic are appreciated and rewarded. With Northern/NorthMart, you’re encouraged to learn and grow on the job and to explore the beauty and the culture of the communities in which we live and work.
Are you a couple? Friends, siblings or just two colleagues that get along really well? We are looking for enthusiastic and highly motivated retail professionals who welcome the opportunities for career advancement that we have to offer. If you are customer service leaders with a passion for being part of a hardworking retail team
Northern/NorthMart offers rewarding experiences and unique opportunities for growth.
- Competitive salaries
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Allowances for both food and accommodation
- Paid training
Develop detailed action plans for the store that achieve planned profitability, sales and controllable expense targets.
- Develop plan to achieve financial goals and communicates these goals to the store team.
- Ensure appropriate merchandise is ordered, tailored to the specific market needs, to maximize local sales opportunities.
- Control labour and overhead costs.
- Monitor all cash, receivables and store controls.
- Ensure appropriate inventory levels to maximize sales, inventory turns and return on investment.
- Ensure loss prevention and shrink are well controlled.
Ensure solid execution of in-store selling activities, financial services, marketing programs, and Northern Way standards in support of corporate programs and initiatives.
- Ensure merchandise is presented according to standards to achieve maximum sales and profits.
- Opportunistically drive sales through promotional offerings.
- Ensure merchandise is priced in accordance with guidelines
- Consistent execution of standards and disciplines.
Develop a community relations plan for the store that ensures the development and maintenance of long term business relationships with customers, community stakeholders and political leaders.
- Determines appropriate sponsorship and donations for local events and activities.
- Monitors the level of customer service and satisfaction within the store and takes action as required to address issues
- Leads and controls the goals and standards for the store
Develop expert, in depth knowledge related to store operations, competition within the local and surrounding areas, and economic factors impacting the community.
- Advance the store’s competitive position within the trading area
Skills and Qualifications
We’re looking for professional, organized workers who have a healthy sense of adventure and a strong knowledge and experience base.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a high-volume grocery/retail environment
- Strong customer service skills.
- Record of bottom line and sales results in previous roles.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions both verbally and orally.
- Computer knowledge of Excel and Outlook.
- Strong knowledge of grocery operating principles.
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving and decision making skills with a high attention to detail
- Proven organizational, planning and prioritizing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills and superior customer service skills
- Must have the ability and desire to develop an in-depth understanding of Northern/NorthMart customers
- Demonstrates a personal and enthusiastic commitment to Northern/NorthMart's vision, mission, values and strategies
- Highly motivated and adventurous with an appreciation for small town life in a culturally diverse setting considered an asset
- Work in extreme conditions
- Lift 50+ pounds
- Work extended hours
- Will be required to stand for long periods occasionally.
- Use full hand mechanics
- Handle or feel and reach with hands and arms
- Work in remote areas
Our Promise to Indigenous Peoples
The North West Company ("NWC" or "North West") recognizes its longstanding relationship with Indigenous Peoples and its role as the largest provider of goods and services to Indigenous communities in northern Canada. North West’s predecessor entities were fur trading and provisioning companies that economically intertwined with Indigenous Nations for hundreds of years, well before the accelerated settler periods of the 19th and early 20th centuries. North West acknowledges its predecessors were also instruments of European sovereignty and power that contributed to the colonization of Indigenous territories and Nations that make up the geography of Canada today. In the spirit of Truth and Reconciliation, we acknowledge Canada’s colonial history and the policies of racism that created power imbalances throughout history and the resulting harm done to Indigenous Peoples.
Our Promise to Indigenous Peoples is a reaffirmed commitment to building more collaborative relationships that will enhance the inclusion and social well-being of Indigenous People of Canada. We fully commit to the spirit of reconciliation reflected in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action and final report.
Help Us Serve Rural and Remote Communities
The North West Company plays a critical role in serving rural and remote communities across Canada’s north. Customers trust our Northern stores and NorthMart stores to provide the products and services that make their lives better. In turn, we trust our in-store personnel to deliver! If you are considering a career in the north, we offer excellent compensation and the freedom to make a store your own. You’ll have the rare opportunity of experiencing life in the north, with its outdoor activities and culturally engaged communities. We put our full support, including first-rate training, behind you. Many of our most successful operators worked their way up through our stores. If you are ready for adventure and hungry for a meaningful, wide-open career, take a look at what we have to offer.
We’d love to hear from all workers who are motivated to thrive professionally and personally while making a difference in multiple communities across the North. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CANDIDATES MUST BE WILLING TO RELOCATE TO MULTIPLE MARKETS IN THE NORTHERNMOST REGIONS OF ALBERTA, MANITOBA, ONTARIO, SASKATCHEWAN, QUEBEC, NUNAVUT, AND NORTHWEST TERRITORIES. RELOCATION ARRANGEMENTS WILL BE MADE AND PAID FOR BY THE NORTH WEST COMPANY.
The North West Company is proud to serve and support communities in Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food, and our goal is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: In person