Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: C$60,000.00 per annum, depending upon education and experience
About the Organization:
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission honours and cares for the men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died in the First and Second World Wars, ensuring they will never be forgotten. Funded by six Member Governments, our work began with building, and now maintaining, cemeteries at 23,000 locations all over the world. Today, over a century after we first began, our work continues through our staff, supporters and volunteers who preserve our unique cultural, horticultural and architectural heritage and ensure that the stories of those who died are told.
The Canada, Americas, and Pacific Area (CAPA) of the CWGC covers all of Canada, United States, the Caribbean, Central America, South America and the Falkland Islands (31 countries) in the Canada and Americas Region and another 10 countries in the Pacific Region including China, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Fiji, Thailand, Singapore, and Myanmar. We are responsible for caring and maintaining 72,000 war graves, over 66,000 commemorations, 89 CWGC owned cemeteries and other sites with memorials, stones of remembrance and crosses of sacrifice.
About the Role:
As a Financial Administrator, you will be responsible to ensure all CAPA financial transactions, month-end financial data and records are maintained, accurately processed, and reconciled within set guidelines and deadlines. You will be responsible for payroll processing for CAPA as assigned, with specific focus on the 10 countries in the Asia Pacific Region. You will provide financial support to the CAPA Management Team, in line with corporate policies and procedures, as and when directed.
So that you know what to expect on any given day, you’ll be doing one or a variety of these tasks:
· Ensure that CAPA meet their Month-End financial transaction reporting into Great Plains within appropriate deadlines, with specific focus on the countries in the Pacific Region.
· Set up all payments onto the electronic banking system for approval and authorization at a higher level.
· Process supplier invoices/credit notes making sure they match and reconcile against Purchase Orders.
· Process payments as required for maintenance contractors and suppliers for approval and authorization.
· Give guidance and support to all staff using the CWGC Purchase Management System (PMS)
· Check, arrange and reconcile submitted travel expense claims in Rydoo and raise any queries or anomalies to the Finance Manager.
· Check, analyze, and enter credit card expenditure on Finance System and deal with queries, concerns and highlight to Finance Manager/Officer where appropriate.
· Chase and follow up on any missing receipts and returns.
· Ensure Area financial transactions are entered and updated in the finance system and reconciled following the month end process.
· Compile, enter and post general ledger journals as required.
· Maintain digital CAPA financial filing system and archiving of statutory records.
· Contribute to the financial onboarding of new hires across the area.
· Assist in other duties in the absence of either the Senior Finance or the Finance Managers.
· Assist in the day-to-day processing of the CAPA global payroll to ensure that all staff are paid in a timely manner and in accordance with existing policies and procedures
· Assist with the reconciliation of the CAPA payroll monthly and investigate and report on any variances.
· Communicate effectively with staff and other CWGC stakeholders.
· Assist with the preparation of financial reports as required and as assigned.
· Assists with the monitoring and financial reporting on CAPA Capital projects as assigned.
· Other office duties as and when required.
Everyone who works for us, or with us, shares our Values, which are formed around our concept of CARE (Commitment, Ambition, Respect and Excellence). We are proud and committed to ensuring we bring this to life every day, for ourselves, each other and those who lost their lives.
The Qualifications we would like you to bring to the position include:
· Minimum of a Post-secondary Diploma in Business Accounting or Bookkeeping and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience as deemed appropriate by CWGC.
· Fluent in written and spoken English.
· Working knowledge of online purchase management systems and online expenses systems
· Ability to speak and write French and/or one of the other operational languages used within CAPA.
· Experience with an organization with international banking and/or payroll experience
· Minimum of two years’ experience within a financial management environment ideally with an international setting
· Proven ability to work with autonomy, organizing work to meet deadlines, prioritizing demands to successfully execute and complete work.
· Excellent spreadsheet and IT skills, working knowledge of Great Plains would be an advantage.
Skills and Abilities
· Self-starter, able to take the initiative in prioritizing workloads and meeting deadlines.
· Results driven, taking responsibility for planning, and organizing assigned tasks.
· Acts with integrity and has high ethical standards.
· Is resilient and flexible even when under pressure and is adaptable and able to deal with ambiguity and change.
· Able to work within a multi-disciplinary team and with individuals from different cultures, and with different languages, skills, and abilities.
· Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
· Develop and maintain professional relationships with locally engaged staff in Canada and across the area, and staff at all levels of the organization.
· Excellent team player, able to build and maintain positive and effective working relationships and recognize contributions made by others.
· Willing to accept increased responsibility and committed to ongoing professional development.
· Familiarity with and/or willingness to learn CWGC related software .
· Analytical and creative approach to anticipating, identifying, and offering solutions to potential problems.
· Excellent organizational and time management skills, prioritizing work to meet deadlines, and wise and economic allocation of resources.
· A complete pre-employment check, including a criminal record check, will be completed by an independent background checking company for all applicants being considered for an offer of employment.
What We Can Offer You:
· Great working environment working in a meaningful role that supports veterans who gave their lives in service of their country.
· 15 days annual leave, increasing by 1 day each year up to max of 30 days per year, National and Ontario Provincial statutory holidays, in addition to a combination of sickness, family responsibility and personal leaves.
· Registered Pension Plan (after successful completion of probation period).
· Professional Development and training opportunities.
· Medical/Dental Benefits with Life Insurance.
· Professional subscriptions relevant to the role.
· Structured Hybrid Working Arrangement. This role is office based with a combination of working from home (2 days per week) and being in office (3 days per week).
How to Apply:
Simply send your cover letter and CV to [email protected]
Competition Close date: 4:00PM on Sunday, October 15, 2023
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time once we receive sufficient applications and encourage all interested applicants to apply at their earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.
Initial interviews will be held by Video Conference Call. Subsequent interviews will be scheduled as soon as possible after the external competition closes and may be by Video Conference or in-person. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted by the CWGC.
We value the differences that a diverse workforce brings and are committed to creating a respectful work environment where everyone is treated with dignity and respect and where any unlawful and/or unfair discrimination is eliminated. We will not unlawfully discriminate directly or indirectly in recruitment or employment on grounds of sex, gender reassignment, pregnancy, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, age, sexual orientation or marital status, religion or belief.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
CWGC (CAPA) employees who commence employment on or after September 15, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, as a condition of employment.
Being fully vaccinated is determined as the status of having received the full series of approved vaccines (both doses of a two-dose vaccine series plus a booster shot) and any additional doses required and approved by Health Canada and having satisfied the full post vaccination period required to ensure vaccination efficacy.
The CWGC CAPA reserves the right to request proof of vaccination at any time. Acceptable proof includes an Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 vaccine receipt which you can obtain through the Provincial portal https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/, or other government-issued vaccine passport or certification. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: From $60,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Ottawa, ON K1J7T2: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Do you have a College level diploma in accounting or payroll processing certification?
- Are you bilingual English/French?
- Do you speak any other languages...please specify?
- Do you have legal authority to work in Canada now (Work Visa, Permanent Residency or Citizenship)?
- accounting: 2 years (required)
- payroll processing: 2 years (required)
- English at a professional level? (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Ottawa, ON K1J7T2
Application deadline: 2023-10-15