Victoria Gold Corp. (“Victoria”) is a mining company with an Executive team that is experienced in developing and operating mines in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. Fully permitted for the life of the mine, Victoria’s Eagle Gold Mine poured its first gold in September 2019 and declared commercial production at the end of Q2 2020. Future and current mines, like Eagle Gold, will be a strong contributor to the Yukon and its citizens for many years to come. www.vgcx.com
Victoria is looking to hire the position outlined below for our Eagle Gold Mine located in Yukon:
Under the direction of the Environmental Manager/Superintendent, the Environmental Technician will be responsible for primary environmental monitoring and sampling, record keeping for environmental issues, and perform inspections of sensitive environmental areas. The ideal candidate will possess a great work ethic with a drive for improvement. The position is site-based working a 2-week rotational schedule of 12-hour days. Responsibilities are noted below which will include but are not limited to:
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Conduct field monitoring and sampling programs as required under existing permits, licenses, and the company's Environmental Monitoring Surveillance and Adaptive Management Plan (including surface and ground water, effluent, soil and dust fall sampling).
- Assisting scientific specialists in the collection of baseline and effects programs for terrestrial and aquatic field programs.
- Maintaining detailed and comprehensive field notes.
- Conduct field and in-house lab analyses of samples using on-site portable analyzers and meters.
- Oversee and carry out maintenance of environmental monitoring equipment.
- Conduct internal due diligence compliance inspections of various site facilities and operational activities.
- Assist with record keeping, data compilation, data processing and analysis as required.
- Assist with spill prevention and spill response.
- Assisting with waste and water management programs.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Technical Certificate, Diploma, or Degree in environmental science, biology, ecology, environmental engineering or related field;
- One to three years of experience with environmental monitoring, preferably in a northern location;
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite; knowledge of ArcGIS and database management is considered an asset;
- Introductory knowledge of Yukon and Federal environmental regulatory frameworks;
- Experience with surface water and groundwater quality sampling procedures, groundwater level measurement methods streamflow gauging techniques is considered an asset;
- Experience driving in difficult terrain with 4WD vehicles, UTV’s and snowmobiles;
- Must be willing to work in adverse weather conditions;
- Must pass pre-employment medical, substance abuse test, criminal records check, hold a valid class 5 driver’s license, provide a driver’s abstract;
Victoria Gold Corp. arranges, and provides flight and hotel for travel to site at no additional cost to the employee and has a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical and a matching retirement savings program.
If you are excited about this opportunity and feel you meet the expectations of the role, please send us your resume with the email subject headline “Environmental Technician” to the following email address: [email protected]