CHOOSE A CAREER AT CANTERBURY, WHERE COMMUNITY IS AT HOME AND LIFE IS WELL-LIVED
Come join Canterbury to help us live our vision of enhancing the role of seniors in society. You will be joining an industry leader that has been the seniors’ residence of choice in Edmonton for over 40 years. You will work alongside leaders who share the mission of providing independence, safety, comfort and connection to support meaningful lives for the Canterbury community. You will build your career in a community that is making a difference in the lives of others.
Reporting to the Health Services Manager, Clinical Coordinator or designate, the Home Care Aide will be the first point of contact for the residents and family, as care plans are carried out. The Home Care Aide is expected to have a high level of interaction with residents, requiring physical capacity to assist with personal care, mobility, transfers, and well developed social skills to provide companionship to residents.
I. HEALTH, SAFETY AND WELLNESS
- Committed to knowing, understanding and reviewing your workplace hazards as identified by your Workplace Hazard Assessment, Joint Workplace Health and Safety Committee and as outlined in Canterbury Foundations Policies and Procedures.
- Participates in making the workplace a safe environment for staff and residents by reporting unsafe conditions, knowing your rights as an employee to refuse unsafe work, and by participating in training, events and committees.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment, footwear and apparel for your role and responsibility for your work day (being mindful of hazards approaching and leaving the workplace).
II. JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complies with the organizational policies and procedures, Continuing Care Health Service Standards, Accommodation Standards, privacy standards, and relevant legislation and regulations.
- Provides safe, competent, direct personal care to assigned residents, including bathing, grooming, dressing, etc.
- Takes appropriate action to all alarms including monitoring exits, fire panels and contacting the Security Company as required.
- Assist Health Services team members regarding resident care as well as responding to phone calls.
- Participate in regular rounds to ensure residents safety.
- Updates the resident hospital list or other documentation as required.
- Ensures effective and timely documentation on resident care and care interventions in accordance with organizational, legislative, and legal requirements.
- Participates in the development, implementation, evaluation, and revision of the care plan for each resident with the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Registered Nurse (RN) on duty or the Nursing Manager.
- Monitor and report changes to resident behaviors and physical conditions.
- Be a companion to assist with hobbies, interactive activities, and fulfilling social needs of residents
- A graduate of a recognized Health Care Aide program that follows the approved Alberta HCA Curriculum.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in health care with seniors, focused on providing care for adults in a specialized geriatric unit or facility.
- Experience in dementia care, palliative care and/or chronic illness would be considered an asset.
- Basic knowledge of Health and Safety programs for Supportive Living and Dementia Care Health Care Facilities in Alberta would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated professional maturity
- Ability to take initiative
- Detail oriented
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility
- Ability to adapt to changing situations
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Strong evidence of relationship-building, ability to work collaboratively
- Proven ability to thrive in a challenging, dynamic, complex environment
- Compassionate and caring attitude
- Speaks and writes English fluently
COVID-19 Requirements (temporary for an unknown duration of time)
- Follow Continuous Masking Guidelines where the successful candidate will be required to wear a procedural/surgical mask that covers the mouth and nose for the duration of a shift, up to 8 hours or more.
- Follow all Infection Prevention and Control measures including proper hand hygiene.
Job Types: Permanent, Part-time
Part-time hours: 31 per week
Salary: From $20.54 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- Resident Care Aides: 2 years (preferred)
Work Location: In person