Constellation Media is looking for a managing editor to run a new community-focused publication in the Lower Mainland.
The ideal candidate has a connection to a community in the Lower Mainland and is excited about the opportunity to build a news publication from the ground up. We want to work with the right candidate, so let us know about the community that you think this should be located in. You also believe in Constellation Media’s guiding principles and will shape the editorial focus of the publication based on the Atkinson Principles.
You understand how to write, edit and assign content to staff and freelancers and are knowledgeable about editing for libel. You know how to work closely with a team of diverse writers. You’ve chased down investigative leads and understand how to craft compelling stories.
Salary is commensurate with experience, between $65,000-$73,000 a year. You will also be eligible for health benefits after the probationary period.
What you’ll do
- Identify stories and work with team member(s) on writing, editing and running a daily newsletter that covers the community
- Identify, assign and edit stories from freelancers covering local issues
- Conduct ongoing investigative stories into local issues
- Work with the Constellation team on creating a local membership-driven publication that puts readers first
- Act as the face and voice of the publication with members and the general public
- Receive training from the Constellation Media team on creating a sustainable and engaging publication that puts members first
- Provide input and help shape future hirings
- 2-5 years editorial and journalism experience, or equivalent experience
- Excellent time management skills
- Experience editing and reading for libel
- Experience conducting investigative stories
- Knowledgeable about a specific geographic community in the Lower Mainland. The ideal candidate has roots in the city and understands the unique challenges facing it
- Flexibility: as a new publication, there are bound to bumps in the road. We need a team member who isn’t afraid of pushing boundaries and trying new things
- Experience working at a membership-focused news outlet
- Experience writing or running a newsletter
Why Work at Constellation Media
Constellation Media is a non-profit media publisher focused on creating mission-driven, digital-first local news in communities across British Columbia. We operate two outlets: The Tri-Cities Dispatch (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Anmore and Belcarra), and The Ridge (Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows).
Original, factual, local journalism is a critical part of a healthy media landscape. We seek to create sustainable local media outlets that put the concerns of residents and community members first.
Constellation believes that at its best, journalism should comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. That’s why we value the Atkinson Principles and the idea that progressive media should contribute to the advancement of society through pursuit of social, economic and political reforms.
Working at Constellation is a unique opportunity to shape the direction of a new media outlet. Editors and writers will be given the technology, tools, training and support so you can focus on writing stories and engaging community members.
If you’ve ever wanted to help shape an impactful, reader-focused journalism outlet, this is your opportunity.
Constellation Media believes a diverse, inclusive staff is critical. Women, people of colour, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are encouraged to apply for the position.
How to apply
Please include the following below when applying
- Your CV
- A maximum one-page cover letter telling us how you would help advance Constellation Media’s mission of revitalizing media in a Lower Mainland community
- Include examples of relevant work to which you‘ve contributed, with links, so we can understand your writing style
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $68,000.00-$73,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Work from home
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Metro Vancouver, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Journalism: 2 years (required)
- editor: 1 year (required)
Work Location: In person