The Senior Systems Administrator - Infrastructure is an integral member of the Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre (RVH) Regional Informatics & Technology Services (ITS) team that has a synergistic working relationship with areas and stakeholders they support, ensuring collaboration and striving to ensure system stability, manage and monitor key systems, integrations and administration of enterprise systems ensuring exceptional data workflows and system optimization.
The Senior Systems Administrator - Infrastructure works collaboratively to provide RVH and our regional hospital partners and internal and external customers with reliable, secure, and high-performance enterprise compute, storage, archival and backup services. This role is responsible for infrastructure administration including the maintenance and administration of both physical and virtual server environments, various storage arrays and the enterprise backup solution, including system updates, ongoing monitoring, alerting and vendor management and support. The Administrator will work in partnership with our security, systems, and network administrators, MEDITECH Platform Technical Analysts, and other members of our Informatics and Technology Services teams.
This challenging position seeks an individual who is self-directed, analytical, and organized to fill the role of Senior Systems Administrator - Infrastructure. This role involves working closely with all members of the ITS teams, Service Desk team, hospital partner sites, internal stakeholders, programs and departments to determine business needs and the facilitation of effective solutions that are consistent with organizational goals and objectives. This role is involved with supporting technical systems operations for clinical and enterprise systems using tools to monitor / respond to alerts to ensure system health,
This position requires direct communication with other ITS teams internal and hospital partners, functional experts, managers, project managers, and other support personnel. As an innovative and self-directed member of the team, you embrace accountability and encourage fellow team members to make innovative contributions and embrace new ideas to affect change and enhance quality.
This is a hands-on technical position requiring a person who is resourceful, as well as oriented towards achieving business goals through technology. This position requires an administrator who is experienced in an enterprise with in-depth analytical and technical skills in the latest infrastructure technology and software deployments with the focus on the betterment of healthcare.
The ideal candidate brings forward enthusiasm, respect for others, a strong commitment to the team and will contribute positively to a team culture focused on excellence in service delivery as inspired by our RVH Values of: Work Together, Respect All, Think Big, Own It and Care.
- 3-year college diploma or university degree in Computer Sciences or related program and/or 5-years healthcare IT experience in an enterprise environment and appropriate professional certifications
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certification an asset
- Microsoft certification an asset
- ITIL certification an asset
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a VMware systems administrator in an enterprise environment (VMware vSphere, vCenter, vSAN, NSX, Horizon and other related VMware products and services applicable to large-scale deployments)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in maintaining large scale systems and backup administration, storage system environments
- Manage and maintain large scale systems and backup administration, storage systems virtualization environments
- Manage and maintain hardware underlying a VMware cluster deployment (Cisco UCS, Dell)
- Dell EMC SAN administration experience PowerStore, Unity, Xtreme IO, PowerScale (Isilon), Data Domain, RecoverPoint, VPLEX
- VMware 6.5 - 7.x experience in administration, creation, resource management, VDS, templates & server images
- Extensive hands-on technical knowledge of EMC NetWorker backup and recovery technologies in an enterprise virtual environment – workflow management, use of vProxy appliances and Data Domain
- Cisco SAN Switch Fabric – Administration, Zoning, Monitoring & Troubleshooting
- Cisco UCS, Dell, and HP enterprise server hardware experience
- Knowledge in storage connectivity technologies (FC fabrics, storage virtualization, SAN, iSCSI, CIFS, NFS)
- Experience in scripting and automation using PowerCLI
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills when given a complex problem
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to work independently or as a team member
- Ability to compile and deliver education and content that is audience appropriate
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly, specifically complex technical information
- Excellent customer service skills
- The candidate will be self-directed and willing to learn new technologies and processes
- Understanding of connected systems such as SANs, networking infrastructure, Telephony, Firewalls and host connectivity.
- Experience with system architecture from conception to deployment
- Must have strong knowledge about the relationship between technology and business requirements
- Experience with system security best practices to ensure of data loss prevention for end points and servers
- Knowledge of privacy legislation and understanding and adhering to policies relating to confidential information
- Excellent skill in problem recognition and problem solving, including critical incident management.
- Demonstrated contributor to a positive team spirit and attitude and lives the RVH Values
- Ability and experience demonstrated through positive performance appraisals, work history and attendance records.
- Experience working with highly integrated teams.
- Must be able to manage several projects/tasks at one time.
- Experience with business analysis and requirements documentation is an asset
- Strong attention to detail and excellent data analysis skills, able to identify trends, gaps and information that can drive positive change
- Administration of compute, storage, and backup infrastructure according to RVH policies and industry best practices
- Develop, document, maintain, monitor, trend, as well as respond to issues, and troubleshoot complex infrastructure including analyzing performance, root cause analysis
- Work with vendors such as Cisco, VMware, EMC to optimize system configurations
- Provide ongoing trend analysis for determining current needs, root cause analysis for incident/problem identification and resolution and future resource requirements
- Install hardware and software to grow, maintain and upgrade the infrastructure based on identified needs
- Respond to system incidents, problems and escalations, prioritize work accordingly, and collaborate and work with other staff and vendor support resources to resolve issues
- Ensure compliance with internal and external standards and security requirements
- Keep systems current with patches and upgrades.
- Conduct capacity planning analyses
- Develop and implement monitoring strategies for system resource usage, performance, and security
- Research, recommend, implement fault tolerant and scalable enterprise solutions as related to SAN administration and backup systems
- Research, recommend, implement, administer, and monitor system security as related to SAN Administration and backup systems
- Administer according to best practice policies and procedures and IT Standards
- Use appropriate tools and scripts to automate daily tasks
- Documentation of all system components, maintaining the currency of this documentation and assisting in the ongoing development of a formalized change management process
- Represent ITS department on organizational projects
- Participate and coordinates technical application activities for after-hours downtimes as required
- Work as part of a team and with other infrastructure groups to fulfil project goals, troubleshooting problems, be flexible, be enthusiastic and share knowledge
- Works with other team members and departments, leading and contributing to the implementation of projects
- Lead complex infrastructure projects and work with department staff and/or contractors in the completion of project requirements
- Monitor the performance of infrastructure technology providing feedback and recommendations for increased efficiency and effectiveness
- Share expertise with members of the team
- Works in a safe and effective manner in compliance with the provisions of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the Hospital’s policies. Expected to report any unsafe act or defective equipment or protective clothing, to their supervisor.
- Expected to participate in any health and safety related training
- Participates in continuous quality improvement by identifying opportunities and supporting continuous quality initiatives
- Other duties as assigned