Title: Business Development Specialist
Reporting Structure: Reports to the Service Director
Organizational Status: Full-time
Level: Mid-Senior Level
Hours: 40 hours/week
Application deadline: Until a suitable candidate is found
Start Date: October 2023
The Students’ Association is an autonomous, student-led organization that is dedicated to serving and representing students at NorQuest College. We represent and advocate for students, offer meaningful opportunities for students to get involved and provide a range of services to assist students when they need support.
Summary of Position:
The Business Development Specialist reporting to the Service Director, is responsible for overseeing various business relationships associated with the Students’ Association of NorQuest College (SANQC). This role is responsible for driving growth by identifying, pursuing, and closing new business opportunities while nurturing and expanding relationships with existing clients.
The Business Development Specialist is responsible for retail development including the exploration of selling SANQC branded items, curated thrifted items and crafted items as a way of increasing revenue, showcasing the SANQC brand and engaging staff and learners.
In addition, this role will be responsible for identifying, developing, and implementing sponsorship and advertising opportunities that align with our organization's mission and vision. The role encompasses a wide range of activities, from prospecting potential sponsors and advertisers to creating tailored packages and ensuring successful campaign execution.
The Business Development will play a critical role in supporting SANQC secure the financial resources needed to advance our mission. This role will be responsible for identifying grant opportunities, developing compelling proposals, and leading fundraising campaigns to support our programs and initiatives.
As part of the dynamic SANQC team, the Business Development Specialist also has opportunities to contribute on internal and external committees and initiatives that align with the purpose of SANQC and contribute to the organization’s vision of transforming the student experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Service Team Support:
- Support project leads in creating project plans and timelines, as needed.
- Help track project progress, milestones, and tasks.
- Coordinate project-related activities and ensure timely completion.
- Support with project presentations
- Conduct research and gather relevant data for projects as assigned.
- Compile and organize information to support project planning and decision-making.
- Collaborate with team members to collect and analyze data for project evaluation.
- Support the planning and execution of service delivery strategies.
- Assist with event setup, registration, and logistics.
Revenue Generating Service Development:
- Conduct market research to identify trends, customer preferences, and competitors' activities.
- Develop plans for selling SANQC branded items, curated thrifted items, and crafted items.
- Analyze data to make informed decisions regarding product offerings, pricing, and merchandising.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to plan and execute new service launches.
- Research and coordinate the implementation of appropriate payment systems for both online and in store purchasing.
- Develop and implement visual merchandising guidelines to create appealing in-office displays.
- Monitor and maintain visual standards across all retail spaces.
- Manage inventory and supply chain to optimize stock levels and product assortment.
- Minimize stockouts and overstock situations through effective forecasting.
- Develop and execute sales strategies to meet revenue targets.
- Identify opportunities for upselling, cross-selling, and promotional activities.
- Ensure that customer service standards are consistently met.
- Gather customer feedback and implement improvements based on insights.
Advertising & Sponsorship Development:
- Develop and execute a comprehensive sponsorship and advertising strategy that supports revenue goals.
- Identify key target markets and potential sponsors/advertisers.
- Research and identify potential sponsors and advertisers in alignment with our organization's mission and values.
- Initiate and maintain contact with potential partners through calls, emails, and networking events.
- Create compelling sponsorship and advertising packages tailored to the needs and goals of each partner.
- Collaborate with the marketing and creative teams to design and present proposals.
- Oversee the implementation of sponsorship and advertising campaigns, ensuring all commitments are met.
- Monitor campaign performance and provide regular reports to partners.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with sponsors and advertisers, serving as their main point of contact.
- Act as a liaison between partners and internal teams to ensure smooth collaboration.
- Manage the budget for sponsorship and advertising activities, tracking expenses and revenue generated.
- Identify opportunities to optimize revenue streams.
- Conduct research to identify potential grant opportunities that align with our organization's mission and goals.
- Maintain a database of grant prospects and deadlines.
- Prepare high-quality grant proposals, grant applications, and reports that clearly articulate our objectives and outcomes.
- Collaborate with program leads and finance teams to gather relevant data and information.
- Plan, execute, and evaluate fundraising campaigns, including online and offline efforts.
- Develop fundraising strategies and timelines to meet financial goals.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with donors, foundations, and funding agencies.
- Ensure timely acknowledgment and reporting to donors.
- Develop and manage budgets for grant-funded projects and fundraising campaigns.
- Monitor expenses and revenue to ensure financial targets are met.
- Ensure compliance with grant requirements and reporting deadlines.
- Prepare and submit accurate and timely grant reports.
- Strategic Thinking: Demonstrate strong strategic thinking and planning abilities, with the capacity to develop and execute comprehensive strategies that align with organizational goals and objectives.
- Collaboration and Relationship Building: Display exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams, stakeholders, and external partners. Proficient in building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, such as community leaders, service providers, and decision makers.
- Industry Knowledge: Stay informed about industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices. Continuously seek opportunities for professional development and learning.
- Cultural Competence: Awareness and understanding of cultural diversity and inclusion, with the ability to create inclusive Service programs and initiatives that respect and value different perspectives and backgrounds.
- Analytical and Data-Driven Thinking: Have a data-driven mindset, with the ability to measure and evaluate the effectiveness of services using relevant metrics and analytics. Proficient in using data to make informed decisions and recommendations.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree: A degree in a relevant field such as non-profit management, or communications. Although relevant work experience will be considered.
- Knowledge of Regulations: Familiarity with applicable regulations, policies, and legal requirements related to the fundraising and business operations. This includes knowledge of student-related services, relevant legislation, and compliance obligations.
- Client Relationship Management (CRM): Proficiency in creating and using CRM systems to manage requests, track interactions, and measure service performance.
- Technology Proficiency: Proficiency in using standard office software (such as Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workspace) and other relevant online tools.
Hours of Work:
- 40 hours per week
- Monday – Friday
- Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (hybrid – depending on requirements)
- Friday remote 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Occasional evening and weekends may be required
A reduced hour/pay option of 28 - 32 hours/week may be requested for this role
How to apply: Through our portal https://studentassociationofnorquestcollege.bamboohr.com/jobs/
SANQC values diversity: We encourage all qualified applicants to apply with confidence.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.