- Experience life and make a difference in one of Canada's northernmost communities!
- Be rewarded with a $40.50/hour wage plus a Northern Allowance of $12.66/hour!
- Excel as a Journeyman Carpenter in this uniquely rewarding role!
About the Organization
The Nunavut Housing Corporation (NHC) works to deliver housing solutions that provide an important link to Nunavut communities. The NHC delivers the Public Housing Program to 25 Nunavut communities with a vision of ensuring affordable housing options for all Nunavummiut. The financial and professional resources needed to provide ongoing public housing services are made available through management agreements between the NHC and the Local Housing Organizations (LHO).
About the Opportunity
The Gjoa Haven Housing Association, responsible for the maintenance of over 267 public and 44 government staff housing units, is currently recruiting for an experienced Journeyperson Carpenter.
This is a 3-month term on-site from August 10th to October 10th, 2023 (no rotations).
Reporting to the Housing Manager, the Journeyperson Carpenter will be involved in renovating and upgrading public housing units. The scope of work will vary depending on the condition of each unit. It may include, but is not limited to, subfloor repairs, demolition, rebuild, drywalling, plastering, painting, kitchen cabinet assembly and installation, complete bathroom upgrades, windows and doors replacement, framing and re-leveling buildings.
To qualify for this role, you will have:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience at the Journeyperson level, including 3 years supervising experience
- Red Seal interprovincial certification
- Experience in Arctic design construction would be an asset
- Current Class 5 driver’s license with driving record check
- Criminal and vulnerable sector record checks
- Previous experience in Arctic design construction and maintenance is an asset
- The ability to speak Inuktitut is an asset
The successful candidate will be a team player who enjoys supervising apprentices and non-certified trades labourers, and also excels at working in a cross-cultural environment.
Finally, you must be self-motivated and have the ability to work effectively autonomously as well as part of a team.
About the Benefits
The successful incumbent will be rewarded with a competitive hourly wage of $40.50 plus a Northern Travel Allowance of $12.66/hour. You will also receive a great range of employee benefits, including:
- Travel costs (flights, accommodations, per diem) paid by the employer
- Subsidized housing provided (shared accommodations)
- 3-month term; may be extended or renewed upon mutual agreement, including the possibility of rotation work (6 weeks / 3 weeks out) after the initial 3-month term.
If you are looking for a role where no day is the same, and where you can make a real difference in the lives of others, then this is the role for you
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Contract length: 3 months
Salary: $40.50 per hour
- Housing allowance
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Gjoa Haven, NU X0B 1J0: reliably commute or be willing to relocate with an employer-provided relocation package (required)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (preferred)
- carpentry: 5 years (required)
- Driving Licence (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Gjoa Haven, NU X0B 1J0
Application deadline: 2023-09-30
Expected start date: 2023-10-04