Are you looking for a new opportunity that would have you assist in managing the Operations section by facilitating the development and implementation of departmental plans and supporting the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and procedures required the meet the intent of CNL procedures? Our Whiteshell (WL) site is looking for a Deputy Chief, Operations and Prevention, to work onsite in Pinawa. In this role, you would be responsible for staff supervision, administration of division budgets, planning and organization to meet the department's goals and objectives. In this role, you would be responsible for staff supervision, administration of division budgets, planning and organization to meet the department's goals and objectives. You may also be called up to be responsible for carrying out the duties of the WL Fire Chief in their absence. If you are intrigued, apply today!
What will you be doing!
- Managing the daily duties and providing effective oversight of firefighting personnel to ensure response readiness.Developing and implementing WL Fire Department emergency response quick action plans.
- Providing oversight for the inspection, testing and maintenance of operations equipment and apparatus performed by firefighters to meet the requirements of CNL policies, procedures and NFPA standards.Developing and implementing WL Fire Department rescue plans and supporting site operations.
- Supporting the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and procedures required to meet the intent of CNL Procedures.
- Conducting shift meetings and health and safety meetings with fire response personnel.
- Reviewing and approving timecards, expenses and leave for WL fire personnel.
- Supporting and assisting with labour management of IAFF members.
- Supporting the Inspection, testing and maintenance program of site fire extinguishers and emergency lighting.
- Supporting compliance with all applicable CNL policies, procedures and NFPA standards and other standards related to the job requirements of WL Fire Operations
- Acting as Incident Command at emergency incidents when required the WL Deputy Chief, Operations and Prevention is responsible for carrying out the duties of the WL Deputy Chief of Training as required.The WL Deputy Chief Operations and Prevention is responsible for carrying out the duties of the WL Fire Chief in their absence as required.
- Managing WL fire personnel shift schedule, overtime and shift changes.
- Assisting with procedure updates and reviews.
- Supporting the WL Fire Department recruitment process.
- Facilitating working relationships with various support groups such as Radiation Protection, Security, Emergency Management, etc.
- Directing firefighting personnel to complete the required inspection/testing of WL’s assets.
- Providing feedback to the WL Fire Chief with regard to labour management relations with the IAFF Local F-160 union.
- In the absence of the WL Fire Chief,may be requested to participate in the local Mutual Aid Association, monthly Mutual Aid general meetings and Mutual Aid Chief’s meetings.
- Attend bi-annual COG meetings to gather information on technical, prevention and emergency response issues associated with Canadian Nuclear Facilities
- Assisting the WL Fire Chief in initiating the local municipal agreements when WL apparatus is out of service. Notify local municipal Fire Departments.
- Other duties as assigned by your manager.
What we are looking for:
- 10 or more years of progressively responsible related experience or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and ability.
- Maturity and interpersonal skills, ability to comprehend or be cognizant with a broad range of technological and/or business issues.
- Ability to effectively communicate with department staff and the general public both orally and in writing.
- The ability to prepare accurate, clear and concise written reports as well as organizing work responsibilities associated with the position.
- Strong knowledge of and consistent application of applicable emergency response codes, standards and licensing requirements.
- Understanding and ability to implement codes and standards applicable to the inspection, testing and maintenance fire suppression equipment.
- NFPA 1021 Officer
- Incident Command System training/NFPA 1521 Incident Safety Officer.
- Security clearance eligibility required: Level 2 Secret which has a minimum requirement of 7 years of verifiable history in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United States and/or the United Kingdom. CNL implements security screening in accordance with the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat “Standard on Security Screening” and the “Policy on Government Security”.
Does working with a team across Canada to advance nuclear science and technology for a clean and secure world speak to you? We're reinventing ourselves to be the pace setters, so we can lead the charge in solving the problems that matter, like building the next generation of clean nuclear and hydrogen energy solutions, developing new and better-targeted cancer treatments, and continuing to lead the world in environmental remediation.
Compressed work week! You get to work hard and enjoy more time with your family and friends. Work-life balance is an integral part of our overall health and well-being; at CNL, we value this.
We offer a complete total rewards package:
- paid time off (vacation, sick, floater & personal);
- benefits effective day one, that’s right no waiting period;
- tuition support
- and a pension!
Do Our Priorities Resonate with You?
- Clean energy for today and tomorrow.
- Restore and protect the Environment.
- Contribute to the health of Canadians.
CNL’s Whiteshell is located in the beautiful and historic municipality of Pinawa, Manitoba, roughly an hour by car from Winnipeg, MB. Pinawa is an excellent choice for people looking for peace and tranquility and those who love the outdoors.
CNL is committed to providing an atmosphere free from barriers that promotes equity, diversity and inclusion in achieving our mission. CNL welcomes and celebrates employees, stakeholders and partners of all racial, cultural, and ethnic identities.
CNL also supports a workplace environment and a corporate culture that is built on our Core Values: Respect, Teamwork, Accountability, Safety, Integrity and Excellence which encourage equitable employment practices and career prospects inclusive of accommodations for all employees.
CNL is committed to being an equal-opportunity employer. If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please indicate via our ATS when applying. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.
CNL respectfully recognizes and acknowledges that the Whiteshell Site is located within the traditional territory of many Indigenous Nations, including those within Treaty 1, 3, and 5, and the homeland of the Red River Métis. CNL is thankful to have the opportunity to work on these traditionally and culturally significant lands and waterways.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $115,400.00 per year
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Vision care
- Will you be able to reliably commute or relocate to Pinawa, MB for this job?
Work Location: In person