Requisition ID: 29717
Do you want to work at one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers? We’re looking for people who are driven by excellence to work with innovative technology to create the material tomorrow’s world will be made of.
At ArcelorMittal Dofasco, we play a key role in North America’s advanced manufacturing supply chain working with the top automotive, energy, packaging, and construction brands to develop lighter, stronger and more sustainable steel products – from cans to cars.
We are at the forefront of the steel industry with a plan to change the way we make steel to significantly reduce GHG emissions in the short term, while reaching net zero before 2050. Ours will be the first integrated steelmaking site in the world to make this transformation and it will happen by 2028. Our global company is leading the world with significant decarbonization projects in North America and Europe and our site is key to this plan.
ArcelorMittal Dofasco is Hamilton's largest private sector employer with more than 4,500 employees, shipping 4.5 million net tons of high quality flat carbon steel annually. Our iconic tagline "Our Product is Steel. Our Strength is People. is a true expression of our belief that our people are our competitive advantage.
Full Time Manufacturing Operations Team Member (Contract – 12 Months*)
- Contracts may be renewed to a maximum duration of 24 months based on business conditions and performance.
About the Position:
We are hiring Team Members to join our Manufacturing Team who can thrive in a fast-paced 24/7 advanced manufacturing environment. Our team members work to support various aspects of the steel production process which includes using Computer systems (HMIs) to run and monitor operations, quality control, operating mobile equipment (Cranes, Tractors, Forklifts), etc.
At ArcelorMittal Dofasco, there is nothing more important than the Health and Safety of our people and others whom we invite on our property. All personal protective equipment (PPE) including uniform, boots, hard hat, prescription safety glasses (if required) will be provided to all employees.
Individuals will learn various roles in the area they have been hired and participate in job rotations to further develop their knowledge, skills and competence. There is the opportunity to grow in both job level and rate of pay with the development of new skills and competencies.
Manufacturing at ArcelorMittal Dofasco:
Learn about the Steelmaking process by watching this video.
About Finishing Manufacturing:
The Finishing Manufacturing Division is comprised of various assets including the following:
- Hot Mill
- Cold Roll Tin
- Pickling and Cold Rolling
- Tube Mill
- Finished Product Shipping
Finishing starts in the Hot Mill with the reheating of a slabs in special ovens. Heated slabs are then run through a roughing mill which rolls the strip back and forth pressing the slab with extreme force to flatten the steel into a long continuous sheet. Coilers than wind the hot rolled steel into a coil.
From here, coils are either sold or further processed. Many exposed applications such as automotive or construction and consumer durables require further finishing to make even lighter gauges and to prevent against corrosion. This is accomplished through Cold Rolling and coating. Coils are unwound and flattened even more and are coated in either zinc, aluminum, or tin plating depending on the end use.
Steel coils are then packaged and transported to our Central Shipping warehouse where they wait to be picked up by truck for delivery to our customers.
About Primary Manufacturing:
The Primary Manufacturing Division is comprised of various assets including the following:
- Material Handling & Logistics
The Primary division is where the process of Steelmaking begins, and raw materials, such as coal and iron ore, are transformed into a steel slab. The Cokemaking business unit is responsible for turning coal into coke at one of our two operational Coke Plants.
From there, our Ironmaking team combines coke with iron ore and limestone to create liquid iron in one of the Blast Furnaces. Our Hot Rail team then transports the molten iron in torpedo cars to the next stop, Steelmaking.
Molten iron is transformed into Steel in the KOBM furnace (Basic Oxygen Steelmaking) and then cast into slabs in the continuous casting process. Another Steelmaking team uses an Electric Arc Furnace (EAF) to recycle scrap steel into new slabs.
Our Material Handling & Logistics team is responsible for managing our supply of raw materials as well as moving heavy slabs and steel coils to their next destination in the Finishing Manufacturing process.
Successful applicants will be considered for opportunities within the areas listed above based on the discretion of the HR Team based on previous skills and experiences.
What to expect on the job:
- 12-hour shifts, rotating days/nights
- Learning new tasks, basic skills such as rigging, operating mobile equipment, basic hand and power tools
- Daily problem-solving, teamwork and autonomous work
- Working primarily in an indoor environment with potential exposure to variable temperatures and at heights. Some areas within Primary may include outdoor work. Work environment varies based on placement and will be discussed further in the interview
- Walking, lifting (up to 50 lbs), and repeated physical movement of the body
- Some amount of climbing stairs, ladders, scaffolding, twisting, pulling, pushing, and crouching
- Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED) is required
- We hire candidates with approximately one-year experience in industrial/manufacturing settings, or any of the following:
- Overhead/Remote Crane Operator
- Heavy Equipment Operator
- Experience within the Canadian Forces
- Steel Industry experience
- Construction, Bricklaying
- Shipping and Receiving
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills
- Experience working within a collaborative team environment
- Basic computer and software literacy
Our Recruitment process:
Applicants will complete an online assessment if selected to continue in the recruiting process. This assessment will provide greater insight into candidate skill level and their ability to perform within an Advanced Manufacturing team environment.
Candidates who interview successfully will receive a conditional offer employment. The conditions include proof of secondary school education or equivalency, criminal background check, employment reference check and pre-placement medical assessment.
Team members who are employed on contract may be considered for permanent team member opportunities based on individual performance and favourable market conditions. Individual performance measurables include: consistent demonstration of required skills, competencies, reliability and teaming ability for the duration of their contract.
At ArcelorMittal Dofasco, we offer:
- Opportunities for pay increases through demonstrated competency
- Shift premiums
- All personal protective equipment and uniform (including prescription safety glasses and work boots)
- On-site, free Parking
- 24/7 Access to onsite fitness facilities
- Wellness programs focusing on: Mindfulness, resilience, fitness, nutrition support, smoking cessation programs
- Onsite employee engagement events supporting such topics as Mental Health, Diversity, Learning week, Health and Safety week.
- Holiday celebrations for employees and families – annual Christmas Party, Canada Day Fireworks
- Discounted access to our 70-acre Recreation Park, offering over 30 teams / clubs for activities catering to employees and their family
- Monthly employee volunteer opportunities to give back to the community with “Team Orange”
- Employee discounts to local attractions and events such as Hamilton Tiger-Cats games
We would like to thank all those who apply in advance since only applicants selected to complete an online assessment will be contacted.
ArcelorMittal Dofasco is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply and we are committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.