Reporting to the Manager of Inter-Professional Practice, our Registered Respiratory Therapists are front line health care providers who work within multiple inter-disciplinary teams throughout the hospital. They deliver excellence in patient assessment, evaluation and treatment for patients with chronic and acute cardio-pulmonary illness. The Respiratory Therapy department has an affiliation with The Michener Institute and provides clinical placements to students annually.
This position will be primarily supporting our long term vented patient population working 8h Day and Evening shifts with coverage across the organization as required.
- Current license with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario.
- Graduate of an accredited program for Respiratory Therapy.
- Current BLS certification.
- ACLS, PALS, NRP are an asset.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Excellent communication, critical thinking and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills as they relate to patient care.
- Ability to work in an inter-disciplinary team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and ongoing professional development.
- Delivers care with patient focused approach.
- Competent in variety of computer skills including electronic medical record documentation.
- Care and management of mechanically ventilated patients in accordance with guidelines and policies.
- Experience in neonatal and paediatric respiratory care an asset.
- Experience in pulmonary function testing an asset.
- Airway management including intubation.
- Administration of medication.
- Tracheostomy management.
- Assessment and intervention for patients deemed high risk for respiratory failure.
- Arterial punctures and blood withdrawal from arterial lines.
- Assisting with bronchoscopies.
- Intra and Inter-transport of high risk patients .
- Arterial line insertion.
- Neonatal management including neonatal resuscitation at high risk deliveries (establishing airway, breathing and circulation), mechanical ventilation, Nasal CPAP, oxygen therapy and assistance of airway management.
- Identifies and addresses educational needs for patients and families.
- Provides patient care in accordance with all professional and organizational standards.
- All employees of Michael Garron Hospital (MGH), a division of Toronto East Health Network (TEHN) [formerly Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH)] agree to work within the legislated practices of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
- All employees of MGH are responsible to contribute to atransparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by MGH.
- All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselvesand their co-workers through adherence to MGH's policies and practices.
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
- In this position, you will be required to work days, evenings, nights, weekends and /or statutory holiday shifts, and on a rotational basis, based on the operational needs of the department.