The BCIT Faculty & Staff Association (FSA) is one of the largest faculty and staff associations in British Columbia. We are a membership-driven, certified trade union that represents full-time and part-time technological faculty and staff at British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT). Through representation on committees, negotiation with BCIT, and advocacy, we work to advance the employment interests of members and improve working conditions at BCIT.
We are hiring a full-time Temporary Labour Relations Assistant (LRA) for our office at the BCIT Burnaby campus located on unceded Indigenous land belonging to the Coast Salish peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.The contract will be for 24 months with an anticipated start in mid-to-late November 2023. This is a new position at the FSA and may become a permanent role.
As part of the FSA’s labour relations (LR) team, the LRA works with FSA members and provides administrative support to our LR team, which identifies and seeks resolutions to workplace and collective agreement issues through advocacy, engagement, and educational processes. For this position, we require an administrator with strong communication, information tracking, and collaboration skills to assist the LR team, interested in participating in our team approach to representing union members.
The LRA role seeks to create a bridge between FSA members and the LR team to ensure that members have a first point of contact, and that labour relations work is captured in a systematic and efficient way so that it can be appropriately and adequately resourced by the LR team. The LRA reports to the Executive Director, but the key element of the position is to provide support for the LR team, generally coordinated by the Senior Labour Relations Representative.
The LRA works within the LR team to provide a wide range of labour relations administrative services and support by triaging member requests for service, supporting the LR team in routine aspects of the grievance process, assisting with research and analysis, drafting legal documentation, and preparing and responding to various routine and specialized administrative documents and correspondence.
This role, like all in the FSA, must be cognizant of the framework within which the FSA operates: BC Labour Relations Code, BC Societies Act, other laws of BC and Canada, FSA organizational policies and strategic mission, vision, and values.
Qualities We’re Looking For
· Understanding of, and commitment to, trade union and public, post-secondary institutions.
· Graduation from a Legal Assistant/Legal Secretary or Human Resources Program, or the equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
· 3 to 5 years’ experience in a similar legal administrator support role.
· Excellent listening and interpersonal communication skills.
· Professional written communication skills, including experience with labour relations note-taking or similar.
· Highly organized & attention to detail.
· Proficiency in using common organizational platforms such as Microsoft Office and information databases.
· Good working knowledge of general office procedures.
· Proven ability to work independently, under pressure. Ability to organize and prioritize workloads, keeping several projects progressing to completion simultaneously with little or no direction. Ability to identify problems, evaluate alternatives and make logical, reasoned decisions.
· Proven ability to establish and maintain effective, collaborative, and respectful working relationships. Ability to exercise sound judgment, tact, and discretion while imparting sensitive and confidential information. Ability to maintain the highest levels of client service and confidentiality.
What We Offer
This is a full-time, temporary position for 24 months, with the possibility of becoming a permanent role. The salary for the position is between $57,740.21 and $61,167.70 with placement based on related experience and relevant education. The FSA offers many advantages including a comprehensive benefit package, defined benefit pension plan, the protections of a collective agreement and union representation, the amenities of working on a post-secondary campus, access to flexible work schedules, hybrid work arrangements, and the opportunity to support our outstanding members and contribute to providing them an outstanding workplace experience.
The FSA is actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from qualified members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including but not limited to status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, neurodiversity, political belief, religion, marital or family status, or age.
How to apply
Submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in working at the FSA by Monday, October 9, 2023. Please visit the careers page on our website to apply: bcitfsa.ca/careers-at-the-bcit-faculty-staff-association. Only applications submitted through our website will be considered - please do not submit application through Indeed.
The in-person interviews are anticipated to take place October 16-18, with a preferred start date in mid-to-late November for the successful candidate.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
Job Types: Temporary, Full-time
Contract length: 24 months
Salary: $57,740.21-$61,167.70 per year
- Casual dress
- Commuter benefits
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Burnaby, BC
Application deadline: 2023-10-09
Expected start date: 2023-11-20