As the Director of Corporate Services, you will provide leadership and best practice development for Corman Park’s corporate functions including finance, internal and external customer service, digital and information technology, corporate strategy, human resources, emergency management, facilities management, privacy, document and by-laws management, communications/social media.
The Director is a team leader with the ability to support, coach, develop staff and positively engage and motivate colleagues in a fully participative and inclusive workplace. As a member of the executive team, you will be responsible for serving the citizens of Corman Park by meeting their needs and expectations and striving to be the best through the Vision, Mission and Values of the organization and customer service guiding principles.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, as well as collaboration with the executive/management team, the Director of Corporate Services will be responsible for the following:
- In accordance with Council approved financial policies, oversees the development, and implements cost-effective financial processes incorporating appropriate internal controls;
- Ensures overall operation and integrity of financial systems and accounting records, protection of RM assets and confidentiality of accounting and financial information;
- Keeps up-to-date on legislation, regulations, accounting standards and funder guidelines/requirements affecting municipal accounting systems, policies, practices and procedures, compensation, benefits, other expenditures;
- Oversees the preparation of regular internal and funder financial and statistical reports including variance analysis as required;
- Works with the Controller in the coordination of the annual audit, working closely with finance staff and the auditors to ensure that the audit schedule is established, the working papers and documents are in order, and the financial statements are complete;
- Works with the management team and staff on issues related to financial results, use of funds and planning of expenditures;
- Provides expert advice, support and policy/legislation to Council, the management team and staff;
- Prepares annual and long-range financial plans;
- Leads the preparation of the budget development process, in collaborates with the Controller and consults with the CAO and management team, is responsible for budget development and approval review and dissemination of budget information;
- Ensures appropriate insurance coverage in accordance with policy;
- Responsible for the RMs financial investments, mortgage/loans, in consultation with the Executive Director and Board;
- Discusses accounting and audit issues with the CAO, Council, and auditors;
- Prepares, reviews, and presents administrative reports to Council and Committees.
Information Technology Management:
- Oversees all IT activities and ensures integrity and confidentiality of IT systems and records;
- Oversees the implementation and maintenance of the RM’s Internal and External Network, providing secure computer services to all staff in all locations;
- Oversees the, implementation and maintenance of the RMs’ VOIP Phone System In consultation with the CAO and management team, is responsible for the development of the RMS annual and long-range technology budget;
- Together with Information Technology staff, keeps up-to-date with technological issues and developments and their applicability to the operations of the RM;
- Together with the Information Technology staff, problem-solves IT issues with the management team and the CAO;
- Ensures adequate safeguards are in place to securely store information.
- Oversees overall Communications activities including the website, social media, print materials and media;
- Oversees the creation and, implementation and maintenance of the RM’s Communications policies and procedures;
- Responsible for the communications strategy.
Facilities & Office Management:
- Oversees all municipal facilities and facility management activities;
- Oversees the drafting, negotiating and approving tenant leases;
- Oversees the creation and, implementation and maintenance of the RM’s Facilities policies and procedures;
- Responsible for the development and management of the Facilities Budget;
- Oversees vendor agreements such as cleaning, supplies, office furniture, lawn and snow removal, equipment leases.
- Oversees overall Administrative and Reception activities;
- Oversees the creation and, implementation and maintenance of the RM’s Administrative and Reception policies and procedures;
- Responsible for the development and management of the Administrative and Reception Budget.
Human Resource Management:
- Consults with the CAO on significant human resource issues;
- Drafts and revises job descriptions, in collaboration with the CAO and other Directors;
- Liaises with HR on recruitment and hiring for position vacancies, including completing necessary approval forms, contributing to selection criteria and interview questions, participating on interview panels as necessary, checking employment references of preferred candidate(s);
- Conducts performance reviews and monitors performance of Corporate Services team members;
- Works in collaboration with Corporate Services team members on professional development, training, and support. staff members;
- Oversees appropriate systems for communication flow within the Corporate Services team and throughout the organization as necessary;
- Approves professional development including expenditures and scheduling;
- Applies and provides policy/procedure interpretation for team members as required.
Strategic Direction Support:
- Participates in RM strategic planning process;
- Provides support for the development and implementation of new projects and programs (e.g. identifies appropriate staff to take on new work, modifies work plans, negotiates workloads/space/equipment requirements, ongoing problem-solving);
- Provides regular reports/information to the CAO on key issues and activities related to the strategic directions of the RM;
Education, Experience, & Skills:
- University degree from an accredited post-secondary educational institution in Business, Commerce, Finance, Public Administration, or a related area;
- Minimum 8 years of progressive experience working in a senior role preferably within a municipal environment;
- Having the designation of a Chartered Accountant would be a highly desirable asset;
- An MBA would also be a highly desirable asset;
- Exceptional ability to lead, coach, and mentor a diverse team while modelling innovation, continuous learning, growth, and improvement;
- Excellent problem-solving skills, including the ability to anticipate issues and proactively respond;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Exceptional interpersonal and stakeholder management skills;
- High degree of political acumen, confidence, tact, and diplomacy;
- Independence, initiative, and ability to be responsive to changing priorities and circumstances.
The RM of Corman Park offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation and benefits package.
Please submit your resume via email to Therese Bruyere at [email protected] end of day October 1, 2023. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Work Location: In person