Division: Collective Bargaining and Compensation Services
City: Ottawa, On
Job Term: Permanent Full-time (35 hours per week)
Union/Non: IAM Local 2011
The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada, a national union representing over 70,000 professionals and scientists throughout Canada, requires a Bilingual Negotiator for its collective Bargaining and Compensation Services Division at its National Office in Ottawa, ON.
PIPSC/IPFPC is committed to building an inclusive workplace where diversity of thought – and of people – are recognized, valued, and considered essential to achieving our goals and objectives. We are making concerted efforts to foster a workforce that is representative of our diverse membership.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Major responsibilities include:
- planning, developing, and implementing negotiation objectives, proposals, strategies, essential services objectives and exclusions and designations proposals with group executives and bargaining committees;
- representing the Institute as Chief Spokesperson and coordinator at negotiations, conciliation, mediation, arbitration, strike, organization, exclusions and designations, and mobilization activities;
- facilitating effective functioning of bargaining teams and bargaining processes;
- providing advice, guidance, information and reports to the Section Head and internal and external clients on topics pertaining to collective bargaining and labour relations;
- advising on the interpretation and administration of collective agreements and reviewing and analyzing the language for adequacy, restrictiveness and history of complaints;
- ensuring that collective agreements and arbitral awards are properly executed and implemented;
- conducting workshops, presentations, and training to constituent bodies as required;
- preparing and presenting submissions for conciliation and arbitration; and
- representing the Institute and providing expertise at group executive and other meetings, as required.
How do I qualify?
- University degree in labour relations or a related discipline.
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of recent experience as a chief spokesperson, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Proficiency in both official languages (English and French / written and oral) is required.
Skills and experience required:
The Negotiator requires:
- A thorough knowledge of the authorities governing employer / employee relations in the federal public service of Canada and other jurisdictions in which Institute members are employed, particularly as legislation relates to collective bargaining.
- A thorough understanding of the operations of the Professional Institute as they relate to the provision of collective bargaining and representational services to members.
- Ability to organize, develop, and conduct collective negotiations meetings with the Employer on behalf of Institute Groups.
- Ability to formulate bargaining strategies, including legal action, and provide related advice to bargaining teams and members.
- Ability to develop, prepare, and present Institute briefs to Arbitration and Conciliation boards and grievance adjudicators/arbitrators.
- Ability to interpret Arbitral Awards, and articles and clauses contained in collective agreements.
- Ability to effectively communicate, orally and in writing, to prepare briefs, reports, newsletters, and correspondence on a wide range of subjects related to collective bargaining.
- Ability to liaise with regional officers undertaking negotiation functions.
- Knowledge of sources of pay and benefits data.
- Salary Range: $98,811 to $123,513 (G7)
- Group Benefits (Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance)
- Pension Plan
- Vacation (4 weeks/year) and other generous paid leave
How to apply:
a) You must apply by email to [email protected], by 4:00 pm (EST) October 30, 2023. ID competition #23-73b in the subject line.
b) Please submit a cover letter and resume. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
c) If you require a disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us to provide your contact information. The Staffing team will contact you within 48 hours.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We encourage applications for this opportunity from Indigenous Peoples, women, people with accessibility needs, persons of all races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, psychologically safe, harassment-free, and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of this process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $98,811.00-$123,513.00 per year
- Company pension
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Ottawa, ON K1G 3J8