The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community. The City of Richmond offers competitive pay programs, comprehensive benefits and attractive incentives. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada”, then please apply.
The Senior Technical Analyst (Data Centre/Windows) builds and maintains the City’s server and Microsoft (AD, Exchange) environments. Responsibilities of this position include designing, procuring, installing, and maintaining the City’s ICT server infrastructure. This includes server operating systems, server hardware, server virtualization, network storage systems, network backup systems, management tools, and related network infrastructure. This position reports to the Manager, Infrastructure Services within the Information Technology department.
- Installing, configuring, documenting, maintaining Windows and Unix operating systems.
- Installing, configuring, documenting, maintaining, and optimizing Microsoft Active Directory and Group Policies
- Engaging with vendors and consultants to review product & services.
- Preparing project plans, coordinating projects and resources including peers and contractors.
- Specifying the equipment required, reviewing configuration with manufacturer/consultant/peers.
- Installing, configuring, documenting, maintaining virtualized environments
- Installing, configuring, documenting, maintaining network storage and backup systems.
- Proactive monitoring of server, domain, storage, and backup services to ensure reliability and security levels.
- Resolving requests from IT and/or end-users to troubleshoot server and network systems.
- Communicating with vendors, consultants, peers and management on a variety of issues.
- Excellent understanding of Windows operating systems and associated Microsoft services (on-prem and cloud).
- Basic knowledge of Unix based systems and services
- Excellent understanding of physical and virtualization technologies (VMWare, Dell VxRail).
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Exchange deployments
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft security best practices maintaining enterprise-level systems and applications.
- Excellent knowledge of enterprise patch management systems.
- Experience with Mobile Device Management products.
- Fully proficient with the use of network storage technologies including fibre channel and iSCSI.
- Excellent understanding of enterprise backup systems.
- Excellent knowledge of networking technologies.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms, such as Azure or AWS.
- Experience with automation and scripting languages, such as PowerShell or Python.
- Experience with IT service management frameworks, such as ITIL.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate technical information in a user-friendly manner (orally & written). Good diagraming skills.
- Ability to research, analyze, assess, and document information from a variety of sources; identify priorities and resources, and propose alternative business processes.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and to provide technical advice and assistance on matters related to the work.
- Ability to work effectively individually and as part of a team, and work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to effectively mentor others, as well as to lead and/or contribute to team-based technical projects.
- Ability to successful pass a Police Information Check.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia.
- Work is performed in an office environment.
- Requires frequent degree of effort such as sitting for long period of time and extended periods of focus, including visual and mental concentration.
- Occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling of equipment over 10kgs (22 lbs.) may be required.
- Additional network certification is considered an asset.
- Project Management certification, such as PMP, is considered an asset.
Completion of a two (2) year diploma or degree in Information Technology or Computer Science/Systems, plus certification in System Administration. A minimum of five (5) years of formal, technical, and increasingly complex work experience configuring and supporting data centre server infrastructure in a distributed environment. Experience working in a municipal government environment would be an asset.
Work is performed in an office environment.
CUPE Local 718
Duration of Appointment:
$49.17 - $58.10/hr
Hours of Work:
8:15am - 5:00pm Monday to Friday, compressed work week schedule
External Closing Date: